Northern Canada (Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut) is one of the richest petroleum resources. To this point exploration has revealed more the 1.75 Billion barrels of oil and 4 trillion cubic feet of gas. Canadian Oil and Gas Drilling Regulations govern the exploration, drilling and conservation of oil and gas and specify measures to ensure the safety of these operations.
Northern Canada is trying to maintain a fair balance between the social/economic growth and environmental protection. Regulations involving multiple federal government departments, territorial and First Nation authorities help to aid this balance.
All areas require a great deal of public consultation; Eclipse is familiar with notifying and addressing public concerns in many forms, from mailings, advertisement to public hearings and meetings with specific community groups, it is understood that prior to notification/consultation a Comprehensive Study Report (CSR) that reviews the social and environmental impacts of any proposed project is forwarded to the Ministry of Environment and the National Energy Board.
Eclipse also acknowledges areas, which are included in traditional land settlements with the First Nations, knowing several approval processes take place. For example the Gwich’in, Inuvialuit and Sahtu all have processes to grant land use permits. These processes usually require consultation with a local community committee throughout the planning and operation of any development. Often, First Nations and Inuit participation in the development and management of northern projects is not considered early enough, resulting in delays in regulatory decision making.
Eclipse understands all these regulations and has a working relationship with local, provincial and federal regulatory officials. This helps to create a more efficient and effective regulatory environment.
Pertinent acts and regulations Eclipse will consult on include but are not limited to:
- Govt. of NWT (Resources, Wildlife & Econ Dev) (GNWT)
- Arctic Waters Pollution Prevention Act
- Canada Oil and Gas Drilling Regulations
- Canada Oil and Gas Installations Regulations
- Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
- Canada Oil and Gas Operations Regulations
- Canada Oil and Gas Production and Conservation Regulations
- Canada Petroleum Resources Act
- Canada Water Act
- Cooperative Plan
- Frontier Lands Registration Regulations/Petroleum Royalty Regulations
- Mackenzie Valley Land Use Regulations
- Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act
- Northwest Territories Act
- Northwest Territories Waters Regulations
- Nunavut Waters and Nunavut Surface Rights Tribunal Act
- Oil and Gas Approvals in the Northwest Territories
- Sahtu Settlement Area
- Inuvialuit Settlement Region
- Gwich’in Settlement Area
- Beaufort Sea
- Southern Mackenzie Valley
- Territorial Lands Act
- Yukon Surface Rights Board Act
- Yukon Inuvialuit Settlement Region